Review: The Pages of the Mind

The Pages of the Mind The Pages of the Mind by Jeffe Kennedy
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This new series spun off of the Twelve Kingdom series, The Uncharted Realms is fabulous. Why did I wait so very long to read this book, I do not know. I thoroughly enjoyed this book from beginning to end. Dafne Mailloux is the librarian who kept quiet and tried not to be slaughtered by her king. Her entire family was wiped out by him so she has good reason for her fear. Now, this meek mouse is the trusted advisor to the High Queen, the cruel king's daughter. At the behest of the High Queen, Dafne embarks on an adventure and finally take her life, off hold.

This story is magical. I loved the attention to the world building as well as the characters development. Dafne as a secondary character was always one who kind of slipped the mind, but still kept a nagging little presence. In this book, Dafne explodes into a character with a more painful past than previously revealed. Her cleverness in learning cultures and new languages is highlighted - front and center. I really liked Dafne and her romantic counterpart, Nakoa. The interactions between these two are cute, especially in Dafne's fumbling efforts and Nakoa's persistent seduction. The sex is a bit drawn out for me. I understand this plot device is necessary to drive the conflict and bring about a much needed solution. Still, I could have done without the virgin protecting her virtue. The sex scenes themselves are fine. Not my cup of tea but still good.

What I really liked was learning about new worlds and the dragons. I am a dragon lover so any books with dragons is going to ensnare my attention. The explanations of how the dragons came to be and what more they can do is fascinating. This world has a slightly missing Atlantis feel to it. It makes me want to read more and find out what happens next. What will the other island reveal and what other forgotten magics will return? This story is a fun journey of self-discovery for Dafne. Recommended to dragon lovers and those who love their happily ever afters.
*provided by NetGalley

Comments

Popular Posts